Thursday, March 12, 2020

Just Thinking.....About Coronavirus


Well since everyone on social media fancies themselves to be part of a consortium of medical experts, I figure I can join in too right? With the one caveat that I'm not actually a medical expert at all and you probably aren't either….right? So, here's my take anyway. I would appreciate if you would at least read and consider what I have to say. Thanks!



Is the coranavirus real? Absolutely it is. You have to be an actual certified idiot to call this a complete hoax. (If that offends you, not sorry, I have a bigger point to make) People are dying! Is everyone dying? No, but the fact that everyone doesn’t die isn’t an indicator that it isn’t real.



Is the coranavirus being overhyped? Yep! Our media wants views and clicks. It’s all they care about and so they are going to overhype this thing as much as possible to keep us tuning in. We are being lied to by our media about some things. If you don’t understand that by now, I don’t know what to say. However, that isn’t an indicator that coronavirus isn’t real.



What if two things can be simultaneously true? I know that seems an impossibility in the toxic culture in which we find ourselves. Everyone thinks they are right and there is no other view. However, it is possible for this virus to be overhyped and at the same time a legitimate risk. Crazy I know, and yet, true!



I keep hearing and seeing those who justify downplaying this virus by saying something like, “Well, the regular flu kills 400 bazillion people every year and no one makes a big deal about that.” Hey guess what, the regular flu IS A BIG DEAL! How is the fact that many people die from the flu a justification for not taking seriously a lot of people dying from another sickness of some kind? There is an absolute absence of logic in this argument.



Also, how about this? The Coronavirus is all Donald Trump’s fault! He is not trying to stop it. He wants it to spread. He’s an idiot and must be impeached immediately and Nancy Pelosi must be installed as the president, also immediately or every person in the world will die. Or maybe you are of a different persuasion. Maybe the coranavirus is actually completely overhyped and is nothing more than a democrat attempt to take Donald Trump out of office. We must immediately kill all democrat politician’s and constituents in order to save the world…… What if it’s just a virus that is a threat to many people. What if the coronavirus can’t recognize its victims by political party? I know this is a radical concept but hey whatever.



PLEASE don’t leave me yet, my big point is coming… but first….



A couple more thoughts. If the Coronavirus isn’t actually real, then why did DONALD J TRUMP cancel the flights from Europe? To get himself kicked out of office? If it is well known that it is a hoax, why do that? It hurts the economy that he certainly doesn’t want to hurt in an election season. This is having a massively negative impact on the economy. Why do that for a hoax? Why would the NBA suspend its season? Political reasons?? This is a multi, multimillion-dollar organization coming into its most lucrative part of the season. Cancel for political reasons? I don’t think so. Have you heard of a little thing called South By Southwest? A huge music, media and whatever else festival that is a really big deal. Millions of dollars’ worth of activity taking place. Let’s cancel for political reasons? Even the WWE is going to potentially cancel Wrestlemania, by far the biggest event and biggest money maker on their schedule. I know many may not grasp what a big deal this is but I believe they are expecting about 90,000 people this year. 90,000 people’s worth of tickets, t-shirts, merchandise and everything else. If you have the slightest amount of knowledge about the owner of the WWE, Vince McMahon you can absolutely be assured he’s not going to do anything to stop his money flow. I could go on with many other examples but maybe you get my point. All of this for something that’s known to be fake? Overhyped? Maybe. Fake? No!



Which brings me to my main point. One of the big talking points about this virus is that most people won’t die. It’s just a little flu or maybe they won’t even know they are sick. Honestly, I’m probably in this category. I’m personally not worried that much about it for myself. (Even if I got the virus and died, I’m not stressed. I know where I am going! Can I get a witness?)  HOWEVER!!! This virus IS deadly for certain groups. Groups like my parents who are older. My mom who has many health issues and doesn’t need to get a virus because of some shmuck who was too cool, woke and informed to take it seriously. There are people like my daughter in law who have serious lung issues. The last thing she needs is a virus that affects her lungs in any way! I have family, friends, church acquaintances of all ages and health circumstances. They don’t need the coronavirus, the flu or any other list of things that can be deadly for them even if it is not for you.



So, here is my question. What if, instead of being so selfish and viewing things from our own personal medical expertise, political persuasion or our own health circumstances, WE THINK ABOUT OTHERS?



Maybe you could think about my family. Maybe you could think about my friends and acquaintances who probably would not fair well if they were to get this virus? What if you thought about the people in your life who are at risk? Is it really that big of a deal to play it safe? To be a little more diligent about hygiene? To listen to actual health experts? But but but but what if they aren’t telling me the whole truth? What if? You need to wash your hands anyway! You need to clean the house. We need to clean our workplaces, churches and everything else. It’s the right thing to do anyway!! Good grief!! What have you lost by doing these things? Nothing!!



Is it possible for us to exercise wisdom and caution for others while at the same time exercising wisdom and caution as things continue to get hyped beyond wisdom?



Some of what’s happening is frustrating. It’s inconvenient. It’s also temporary. Couldn’t we just try to our best to protect the people around us and leave it at that without complaining and whining? Couldn’t we just….oh I don’t know…. Love our neighbor as ourselves? Being vigilant and paying a little more attention to detail isn’t that big of a deal for me. How about you?



And finally, keep this in mind. It’s all about arguments, political debate and opinion until someone YOU know gets it and doesn’t recover. It’s at that point everything gets very real. How about if we just do what we should do anyway to try and make sure that doesn’t happen?



Be Blessed, Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment